Skip to main content

Confessions of a mother: inspired by Screwtape Letters

My Dear Tarbile,
Im pleased to report that today was another dreadful day for my patient and a successful in bringing this wrecked patient of mine one step closer to an eternity in our fathers house. She remained tirelessly on her phone, looking over and over again at the same thing, and in the end with nothing to show for it. Hours she spent gazing at her device, all the while excusing, and reasoning with herself that this was something important, that she didn't feel well enough to properly care for the children today, and that eventually her husband would be home to give the children the attention they deserved. Whenever I saw her day getting more difficult, I encouraged her to replay several thoughts in her mind, "you cant do this, so just give up now", "you don't deserve them, they deserve better". It's so easy to make her believe this and remain oblivious to the flaws in her reasoning. I let her just sulk and numb herself with that incredibly useful, distracting and time sucking device, accomplishing nothing but letting her feel that at least she's thinking about the future. Yes, the future is just where we want her mind to be, not present with her children, enjoying them and actually teaching them anything. No, no the more distracted she is dreaming of better days, looking for the home that will solve all her problems and cause to magically disappear the tremendously depressing and endless sibling quarrels, messes, tantrums and utter lack
of respect and appreciation from her children, the more she will continue to neglect what will really help her to dispel those problems, (spending time with her children, tidying up the messes, modeling affection and attention, just being truly present with them). Numb and distracted is the epiphany of of a mother worthy of a place in our fathers house down below. However, I will mention, my patient did have a troubling and repulsive conversation with her uncle, and I feared it had brought about some powerful ideas in her that would please and lead to service of the enemy, but after their conversation, I managed to lure her back to her phone. Once the phone was in hand again my work was done, it was as practically glued to her after that. Despite this encouraging trend I do see her beginning to have dangerous ideas, ideas that if carried out, could quickly morph into very counterproductive and irreversible strides away from my influences. We must immediately alert Ashbowel that my patient and his, the uncle, must be kept from having any meaningful conversations. Rather, we must distract them as much as possible, as to avoid these deeper subjects.

Affectionately yours,

Cinderott

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Chasm

I wasn’t sure where we were or how it was that we got there, but wherever we were, it was not a place where you would choose to go, if you’d have had the choice.  The town was large, and you could tell also well inhabited, because from the corner of your eye you could see shadows dash quickly across the windows and dark transparent figures that moved so swiftly between the buildings and through the streets that you could blink, then look again, and they would be gone. It made me question whether they had even been there, but a burnt surfer-like stench that lingered in the air hinted to the fact that it wasn’t just our imaginations.  Yet, at the same time, it was eerily quiet, it felt as if that moment of suspense when you hold your breath, so as to not miss even the slightest sound, in the vast ocean of silence that whispers clues of what might suddenly happen next. Just like that very still, tense moment that happens just before the hunting lioness, lying in hiding between the dense g

Stranded on the Winding Dirt Road

Oh Dear Ole Sherrif Fred,  You just wouldn't believe the day I had today.  I sure could have used your rescuin'.I know if you would've been in town, you would have gotten me out of that pickle faster than a prairie fire with a tail wind. It started like this, I was out with all the youngin's, ridin' along in our horse drawn carriage.  The road to lil' LiliAnne and Clare's teacher was blocked so we had to take the long, winding road. I'd been a while since I last had fed my horse, you know I'm so busy an' all with the lil' ones. I figured he could make it that last mile, and then I'd get around to  feeding him. Well, I guess I went and pushed that horse a lil' too hard this time because that horse stopped dead in its tracks right as I was making my turn back onto the main road.  You know how fast those wild cowboys ride down that road too. So here I am, with all the kids, and our carriage is blockin' half the road. Those cowb

Inferno

Chapter 1 Inferno I wasn’t sure where we were or how it was that we got there, but wherever we were, it was not a place where you would choose to go, if you’d have had the choice.  The town was large, and you could tell also well inhabited, because from the corner of your eye you could see shadows dash quickly across the windows and dark transparent figures that moved so swiftly between the buildings and through the streets that you could blink, then look again, and they would be gone. It made me question whether they had even been there, but a burnt surfer-like stench that lingered in the air hinted to the fact that it wasn’t just our imaginations.  Yet, at the same time, it was eerily quiet, it felt as if that moment of suspense when you hold your breath, so as to not miss even the slightest sound, in the vast ocean of silence that whispers clues of what might suddenly happen next. Just like that very still, tense moment that happens just before the hunting lioness, lying in hiding b