Skip to main content

Anita and Tío Fred’s Play Off of The Great Divorce

Anita and I sat at the back of the bus, well away from the others and said quietly a Our Father and Hail Mary.

Almost immediately a bright eyed smiling woman sat next to us. As she did we moved off.

I heard you saying the Hail Mary so I thought you wouldn't mind me joining. All the other people in this bus are idiots.

"Why do you say that?" Anita asked.

The her bright eyes and warm, friendly face turned to whimpering and a few tears. Her face remained frozen that way for a moment, while you could tell that she was replaying something in her mind. Then a suddenly, she smirked and perked up, and replied, "Many of us were friends at one time or another." It's very sad, really, after all I did for them! Not even a single thank you!"

"I hope someday they will realized all I did for them. They only think of themselves. "

A man with a long gray beard appeared to overheard our conversation and hesitatingly turned around to face us. He looked up at the smiling woman and whispered, “Hi my name is Thomas. I couldn’t help but over head your conversation and thought I’d share with you a prayer that helps me to be generous with my time and possessions. When I get tempted to count favors, I ask God to help me be more generous and not to expect anything in return. Hope it helps.” He turned around and went back to reading a book he had in hand. 


The woman's face turned sour and she return to the front of the bus.

I said to Anita "It's amazing the reception our phone get here. I wonder how they got the technology into the borderlands of heaven and hell."

Anita said "Let see if we can google here."

We both stayed on the phones for hours until...


The bus driver called out “alright this is the last stop!”

We looked around and realized we had been so absorbed looking on our phones that we missed our stop and the last stop was certainly not heaven. Reluctantly we stepped off the bus. The driver immediately closed the bus doors and sped off like a cat with its tail in fire :) we could see why. As we looked around...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inferno

Chapter 1 Inferno I wasn’t sure where we were or how it was that we got there, but wherever we were, it was not a place where you would choose to go, if you’d have had the choice.  The town was large, and you could tell also well inhabited, because from the corner of your eye you could see shadows dash quickly across the windows and dark transparent figures that moved so swiftly between the buildings and through the streets that you could blink, then look again, and they would be gone. It made me question whether they had even been there, but a burnt surfer-like stench that lingered in the air hinted to the fact that it wasn’t just our imaginations.  Yet, at the same time, it was eerily quiet, it felt as if that moment of suspense when you hold your breath, so as to not miss even the slightest sound, in the vast ocean of silence that whispers clues of what might suddenly happen next. Just like that very still, tense moment that happens just before the hunting lioness, lying in...

Confessions of a mother: inspired by Screwtape Letters

My Dear Tarbile, Im pleased to report that today was another dreadful day for my patient and a successful in bringing this wrecked patient of mine one step closer to an eternity in our fathers house. She remained tirelessly on her phone, looking over and over again at the same thing, and in the end with nothing to show for it. Hours she spent gazing at her device, all the while excusing, and reasoning with herself that this was something important, that she didn't feel well enough to properly care for the children today, and that eventually her husband would be home to give the children the attention they deserved. Whenever I saw her day getting more difficult, I encouraged her to replay several thoughts in her mind, "you cant do this, so just give up now", "you don't deserve them, they deserve better". It's so easy to make her believe this and remain oblivious to the flaws in her reasoning. I let her just sulk and numb herself with that incredibly usef...